Friday, March 7, 2008

Movie #25 - Night at the Museum


The main backdrop of this movie is the Museum of Natural History. Although I have not been there myself, I have taken virtual tours through books, on-line, and from the various television shows and movies that have been filmed there over the years. I hope to one day visit this museum to see its wonderful historical sites and view its popular exhibits.

But that's another story for another day.

When this movie first came out, I didn't know what to expect. Ben Stiller has done some tremendously funny films, but he has come out with some stinkers in the past. Before watching this film, I had peg it into the second category, strictly based on his recent track record.

However, after seeing the box office results and knowing that the masses sometimes get it right, I knew that I wanted to see this film and anticipated my chance at doing so.

Previous to viewing, I did some research and discovered that this film was directed by Shawn Levy. Unfortunately, Levy has made some recent bombs, all of which I have seen bits and pieces of - including Steve Martin's horrible remake of the Pink Panther genre and yet another Steve Martin crap fest in the Cheaper by the Dozen franchise.

What intrigued me about the research was the discovery that Mickey Rooney was cast in this film, along with Dick Van Dyke, Ricky Gervais, Robin Williams, and Owen Wilson. In terms of cast, on paper, this would seem to be a little much in terms of comedic brain trusts. It actually was coming off as a money grab ala the forgettable Rat Race. Movie definition of the "money grab" - cast a bunch of famous actors together in a really bad movie with no script or concept just to pay the bills. If you want an example, seek out Kiss of Death (1995) starring David Caruso, Nicholas Cage, Helen Hunt, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Either way, back to the "Museum." What made this movie special was the magic being portrayed in this film. Kids nowadays see everything in black and white... they have the Internet, they have access to an abundance of information, and they seem to be smarter than when I was a kid - which wasn't that long ago in fact.

The magic of this film is what makes this work. The movie is filled with imagination and creativity, something that is lost in many children's films that are not cartoons. This movie is par with underrated films such as The Indian in the Cupboard (1995) or more recently The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005) - both of which are book adaptations.

Having the museum attractions, exhibits, and wax figures come to life is just the beginning. If you are an 8-year old child or a child at heart, watching this film will definitely make you smile. Hope you enjoy your night at the museum.

Reference: I originally published this article on Helium.com.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I liked this movie. It's a quality PG-13 sort of flick.