Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Movie #78 - Wild Things


"No risk, no fun."

I caught this film on MPIX a few weeks ago and I can see why a number of people were hooked on this movie back in 1998. I am surprised that I never saw it before then, considering I was a teenager back in 1998 and this movie would've been the talk of the town back then amongst guys my age.

There are a couple of things that make me laugh about this movie...

1. How many times are we going to see Neve Campbell cast as a teenager? Campbell is in fact born in 1973. In 1998, Campbell would've been 25, a far cry from the 18 year old she was attempting to portray. It was a little obvious considering Campbell spent over five years as a "teenager" on the Canadian television show Catwalk and spent another five years as a "teenager" on the teeny-bopper television show Party of Five.

2. Can we really take Denise Richards seriously in any role? From Bond films to this kinky thriller, Richards is purely just cast as eye candy. She is entrusted with tremendous speaking roles in many of her films, but who is really paying attention. Not only can she not act, but she's stunning in most of her scenes, that her acting is more of a distraction more than anything. My favourite spoof on this assessment came on the television show Friends, in which Richards was constantly being viewed in slow motion by Chandler, Joey, and Ross with Barry White music playing in the background.

3. How many twists can we add to this movie in the last ten minutes? Without providing any spoilers to my readers, this movie ends as twisted as it begins... and not necessarily in a good way. The twists are tacked on as I believe writer Steven Peters and Director John McNaughton didn't know how to end this movie. I would've just flash backed to the sex scenes myself, but that's just how my brain works.

Either way, this movie is entertaining on many levels, but forgettable in the end. By the way, I couldn't resist to put this picture in as part of the post... I bet it will garner some extra viewings for my blog.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Eric, that is awesome that you are posting your movie reviews. I'm bookmarking you.