Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Movie #89 - Akira


"Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E."

Definitely one of the weirder films that I have seen over the last decade. I had wanted to watch this movie for many years after following suggestions and advice from movie critics such as Leonard Maltin, Gene Siskel, or Roger Ebert. From my recollection, I believe this film comes from one of Ebert's picks from many years back.

Have never been a real fan of anime, although I collect comic books - primarily mainstream issues from the DC and Marvel. I rarely ventured outside of my realm of superhero books, so this movie and its artistic style was intriguing and a treat to watch for the first time.

I stumbled upon a used copy on VHS from the local Rogers video store and forced my then girlfriend at the time to watch this movie with me on a Friday or Saturday evening. I cannot speak for her, but I was impressed by the plot, the artwork, and the action sequences... which you never see in any animated feature films of Batman, Superman, etc.

However, this movie was just plain weird. Probably the inspiration of late 90's and early decade music videos of Daft Punk, Gorillaz, or Linkin' Park, Akira is the mainstream anime film that many people know and actually accept as a solid movie.

Back in high school, I tried to get into it as one of my good friends was trying to introduce this genre to me along with other science fiction type activities (collectible card games - CCG's). However, it never caught on with me - probably just weirder than I wanted to let my mind get involved in at the time. The reason behind that was because I watched Ghost in the Shell. Similar to Akira, was beautifully shot and had a great plot, but took a tremendous twist in the end - making the whole movie watching experience somewhat cheapened as the film didn't make any sense once it was over.

If you like that sort of thing and enjoy other science fiction type films, you'll enjoy Akira. Even if you are not a fan of anime, you will find entertainment value in this film. Just stop the tape or DVD in the last 10 minutes and you'll be fine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TatsuuuuuuooooooOOOOHHH!!!