Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movie #92 - What Lies Beneath


"He was the perfect husband until his one mistake followed them home."

This movie probably marks the beginning of a string of bad films to be released by Harrison Ford, which is a string of about nine years. Unfortunately for a Sigma Nu brother, Ford continues to churn out films of poor quality - most recently, his resurrection of Indiana Jones.

I remember getting sick during exams in fourth year university and watching this film with my girlfriend (now wife) on VHS as part of an attempt to get better. I think I was having a fever when I watched this film originally and have not seen it since to update my opinion on the movie - but I still believe it is a poor film from top to bottom.

A casual movie fan would think that having a movie with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer would have on-screen chemistry and a solid plot. Especially since this movie marks one of Ford's first "thriller" genre entries on his resume, I was excited to see what the duo could do. Mix in the respectable director, Robert Zemeckis, and you have the combination available to make a good movie.

Well, sometimes expectations are not met and movies fall flat, which is the case for What Lies Beneath. I think my poor review of this movie is linked to both being sick while watching the movie and not enjoying the poor CGI graphics used nor the poorly scripted film on the whole. In the end, I believe the team should just forget about this film in its entirety... unfortunately for Ford, he hasn't really recovered from this flop and there looks like there is no end in sight for him.

No comments: