Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Movie #65 - 30 Days of Night


My apologies to many of my readers - I have been quite busy with life, that I haven't been able to keep my blog up to date. However, I am still watching a number of movies each week, so I have many topics to write about.

Watched this film with the wife a few weeks ago. It was one of those highly anticipated films in my list, unfortunately, this is a funny statement to make because I am not a big fan of any films starring Josh Hartnett. I figured, similar to the movie 300, this movie is well-scripted and framed in the comic book storyline... I thought wrong.

The vampires of this film are great. Quite scary and startling in various scenes and the concept of having vampires kill people living in total darkness in Alaska is a great plot. What wrecks this movie for me you ask? You guessed it... Josh Hartnett.

I honestly no longer know who is worse - Hartnett or Keanu Reeves. Both are stellar at giving no emotion in scenes which require at the very least, a pulse. However, with Hartnett, he is capable of over-acting other scenes and thus gives a consistently confusing performance in another flop at the box office.

The only reason to watch this movie is the performance of Danny Huston. This Italian actor is slowly becoming an A-List "That Guy" actor in which Huston is being cast to be a solid role actor in these protagonist centric films. Some of the films on his recent resume where you won't remember seeing Huston is Constant Gardner, Number 23, and Children of Men just to name a few.

Huston's "Marlow" vampire character is the scariest thing in this movie outside of Hartnett's performance. But overall, if you disregard Hartnett completely, you will enjoy this movie for what it was intended to do - to make vampires scary and violent again!

No comments: