Friday, September 26, 2008

Movie #68 - Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)


"David is 11 years old. He weighs 60 pounds. He is 4 feet, 6 inches tall. He has brown hair. His love is real. But he is not."

Conceptually, this movie could've been good. I recently watched a documentary on the life and times of Stanley Kubrick, and based on the script written and the plot and wonderful sets designed by Kubrick - this movie should've been good.

What went wrong you ask? Steven Spielberg. Kubrick entrusted AI to Spielberg as not only did he doubt the computer generated image technology at the time of original production, but Kubrick envied Spielberg's talent and timing to do blockbuster movies - readily accepted by the average movie fan.

Something went haywire with this film and I guess its somewhat ironic since this movie is about robotic lifeforms. In terms of CGI, this movie is top notch for its time. Fantastic images and set design capture Kubrick's original vision. The script itself is good and is believable (in science fiction terms) for about 95% of the film - until you reach the end of the movie, which I hated.

I usually don't dislike anything done by either Spielberg nor Kubrick, but this joint venture was a major disappointment for me. I cannot put a finger on who to blame? Was it Osment or was it Law? Good think Kubrick didn't see the end of this film being made, but I am sure he would've been disappointed too.

I guess in the end, the real culprit are expectations. You have two of the better directors creating a unique partnership to make this movie about the life of robots - great movie idea right. I guess some of these movies should just stay in that little vault, never to be made.

Too bad... maybe in 200+ years, the Earth will freeze over and the new inhabitants will find a copy of this movie on DVD and watch it and think its the greatest thing ever... nah... that would never happen - DVD players 200+ years from now? Who am I kidding?

No comments: